30 THINGS I WANT MY CHILD WITH ALOPECIA TO KNOW
(or with any physically altering disease/condition)
1. You are beautiful.
2. You are brave.
3. You are strong.
4. You are perfect.
5. Your smile lights up any room. People are drawn to smiles!
6. I am here for you for as long as I’m living.
7. I understand that it is hard for you because you are used to seeing yourself a certain way in the mirror, or maybe because you think you look "different".
8. I understand that even after time passes as you grow and mature, that you may still feel down on occasions or get upset.
9. It is OKAY to cry! You have the right to feel. After all we are human.
10. I will cry with you if you need me too, whether it’s now while you're small enough and next to me so I can hold you, or later when you’re grown and on your own. I’ll be a phone call away.
11. I’ll always be here to hold you.
12. If there were a magic that could take this from you, I would go to the ends of the earth to find it for you.
13. If I could trade places with you or give anything of myself.... I would. I would do ANYTHING for you.
14. You’ve had to learn some harsh realities earlier in life; such as life can be unfair and unpredictable, and you’ve been weathering the storm better than some adults do (including myself).
15. FEEL PROUD and be CONFIDENT!
16. I wish I could say people won’t stare, but sadly we live in a superficial world that believes beauty is measured by physical attributes someone somewhere decided they deemed a person worthy of falling into a so-called special category, when 110% I can guarantee you it is NOT the case, no matter how many times you see it in a magazine or on TV.
17. Remember people feel the need to point out what is “different”, mainly because they fear the unknown, and many times it is just their insecurities shining through.
18. Don’t be to hard on those that choose to criticize and judge you, they may be fighting battles of their own that they don’t know how to handle. Show them how you do it, by walking with your head held high and a loving heart. p.s.: Just because I say this doesn't mean to let yourself get bullied. Stand up for yourself. I'm right here to back you up. I'll stand up for you or right beside you. Wherever you need me!
19. Don’t let all the negativity get you down. You are YOU, you are GREAT, and you are LOVED .....that is ALL that matters.
20. Don’t spend your time comparing yourself to others…we are ALL different! And like I tell you all the time everyone has something. It may be as silly as a ginormous toe secretly being hidden away in a shoe. ☺
21. Those that truly love you will not be able to see anything “missing”. I promise you…they will just see your heart, and your natural beauty.
22. The only opinion about yourself that matters is just what YOU think about yourself, not what others think of you. Just in case, remember 1-4 and 26-30 and repeat it to yourself daily!
23. Always be kind and gracious. Two things in life than matter more than anything aside from LOVE!
24. Thank you for being mine and teaching me the invaluable lessons you have taught me throughout this journey.
25. If I were given a choice as far as the child I’d get to have, I’d pick you. EVERY.SINGLE.TIME…hair or no hair!
26. I love you forever and always to the moon and back.
27. You are PERFECT.
28. You are STRONG.
29. You are BRAVE.
30. You are BEAUTIFUL.
by Tamara Vernia
Feel free to share! Help me raise awareness.